The Wonderful Woodlands
The area of Glendale
covered by the Verdugo Woodlands West Homeowners' Association has some of the
most interesting properties in the city.
Verdugo Woodlands West begins in the South at
the point where Caņada Blvd
and Verdugo Road
divide in front of Glendale College.
The Eastern boundary continues up the West
Side of Verdugo
Road past Glorietta Avenue. The Northern Boundary slices through Glorietta Park
across Caņada Blvd
and along Santa Barbara Ave. to
The West boundary includes all of the streets and homes built adjacent to and
extending into the Verdugo Mountains.
The boundary then continues South to the ridgeline separating the Verdugo
Woodlands Neighborhood from the Greenbriar Neighborhood. The boundary proceeds
down the ridgeline to the West edge of Verdugo Park
where it encompasses the park before closing the loop back at the point.
At the latest count, Verdugo Woodlands West
includes over 1100 single-family homes, almost 50 multi-family houses, and
approximately 15 Business Buildings. The Woodlands has predominately single
family, one and two story homes set on sizable lots. Since nearly all of
Verdugo Woodlands West was developed before the 1970's, the area has thousands
of beautiful mature trees and very few vacant lots.
We are attempting to minimize the over
development and "mansionization" that has plagued other areas of the
The Verdugo Woodlands West area includes The Verdugo Woodlands Elementary
School and the Learning Stars Pre-School.
It has a Congregational Church, a Latter Day Saints Church Institute of
Religion and a Knights of Columbus Hall. It encompasses all of Verdugo Park
with its skateboard area and part of Glorietta Park.
It boasts both the Casey Stengel Baseball Field and the Babe Herman Little
League Field. It is home to Glendale
Fire Station 24 and to the Verdugo Woodlands Dad's Club Youth House. The annual
Verdugo Woodlands Father's Follies and the annual Dad's Club Pancake Breakfast
have both been fixtures of the neighborhood for decades.
The Rodriguez House at 1845 Niodrara Drive
dates from 1941 and was designed by noted modernist architect H. M. Schindler.
It is a Glendale
Return to Home Page